Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring post

Spring has come, albeit with snow today but at least the temperatures are allowing me to get outside and do a bit of carving.  And being a new season I decided to try something new.  I have rescued a 7 x 7x 60 fir beam  the has resided beside our house since we moved in and who knows how long before that.  I cut it in two  and found the surface rot was minimal and there were few checks in the wood.  The two pieces sat in the shop for almost a year and I finally got up the courage to try to carve in a sort of  refined chainsaw style.  I like the result but still need to finish the base and for ideas I'll take it to my art group for critique and help in finish and base design.  One of our Fri. group (Alec) is a long time carver and is always willing to help with ideas;  it's always nice to have his blunt but accurate assessment. 

My other project is still on the easel.  It is a portrait done in the pixelation style.  I think I have figured how to get a better balance for it and will work on that the next week along with the finish of the carving.

In other news, our Regin|Art show in May is starting to take shape.  We have a phenomenal cast of artists but confirming sponsors has slowed the process.  This means the planning of the adverts and printing booklets, posters etc. are behind where I would like it.  But things are moving along.  Mark May 17 on your calendar and join us at the Shumiatcher Room at the Conexus Centre of the Arts.

Our sponsors in Saskatoon are also preparing for a show on October 24 at the TCU Place.  Rather nice in that they do all the planning and ads, etc and we just move in and sell.

Next blog I'll show the finished works of owl and portrait. 

1 comment: