Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Post

Well spring has sprung, sort of; it snowed today but at least the weather has warmed.  OK, so by warm I mean around 0 which has allowed me to get outside and do some carving.  Being a new season, I decided to do something new.  I have had these 7 x 7 by 28  pieces of fir beam in my shop for about a year.  The wood sat beside our house when we purchased it and had some surface rot but very little checking of the wood.  I began a carving from one of the pieces and I think things have worked out reasonably well for a first effort.  I still have not finished the sanding nor the design of the base but I like the Owl shape and style.  I will take it to my art group and have them pick it apart and ask Alec about doing the finishing.  Alec is a long time bird carver and is always willing to help.
My other project, a portrait, is still on the easel but I think I know the change I need to make to get it to the frame.

Plans for the ReginArt show in May are starting to come together, but seems to be a bit slow in finalizing the sponsorship details and therefore printing and advertising issues.  We have a phenomenal group of artists lined up so mark May 17 on your calendar and join us at the Conexus Centre of the Arts, Schumiacher Room.

The Sponsors in Saskatoon have booked TCU Place for a similar show in that city on October 24.  Having them do the organizing is really nice, all we do is set up and sell.  How great is that.

The pics are of the wood carving and the yet unfinished portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment